Gurvirender Tejay, Ph.D.
Gurvirender Tejay, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Information Systems
College of Business
Dwire Hall 349
Ph.D., Business (Information Systems), Virginia Commonwealth University (2008)
M.S., Computer Science, The University of Chicago (2003)
M.A., Economics, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (2002)
B.A., Economics, Magna cum laude, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (2000)
- Cybersecurity Management
- Information Privacy
- Computer Ethics
University of Colorado Colorado Springs, Colorado (2019 – present)
- Associate Professor of Information Systems, College of Business
St. Thomas University, Florida (2016 – 2019)
- Associate Professor, Gus Machado School of Business
- Gary Goldbloom Endowed Distinguished Chair in Cyber Security Management
- Director, Center for Cyber Security Studies (2016-2019)
- Program Director - Cyber Security Management, Gus Machado School of Business (2016-2018)
Ludwig-Maximilian-University, Germany (2012)
- Visiting Research Scientist, Center for Advanced Management Studies
Nova Southeastern University, Florida (2007 – 2016)
- Associate Professor, College of Engineering and Computing (2015-2016)
- Chair, IS Curriculum Committee (2013-2015)
- Associate Professor, Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences (2011-2015)
- Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences (2007-2011)
- Research Seminars: Scientific Inquiry for Information Security, Information Security Management Seminar, Information Privacy Seminar, Knowledge Management
- Research Methods: Research Design in Business Administration
- Research Projects: Directed Research, Research Project in Information Security Management, Research Project in Knowledge Management
- Cybersecurity: Cyber Security Governance, Cyber Security Law, Cyber Security Risk Management, Enterprise Information Security, Seminar in Cyber Security Management
- Security Technology: Cyber Security Technologies, Ethical Hacking & Intrusion Detection
- Information Systems: Advanced Information Systems, Information Ethics, Information Privacy, Information Systems Project Management
- Introductory: Introduction to Information Systems, Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
- Upper level: Database Systems, Information Systems Planning, Projects in JAVA, Systems Analysis and Design
Journal Publications (Selected)
- (Co-author) “Utilizing normative theories to develop ethical actions for better privacy practices,” Journal of Information Privacy and Security (2017).
- (Co-author) “Examining privacy concerns and ecommerce adoption in developing countries: The impact of culture in shaping individuals' perceptions toward technology,” Computers & Security, Volume 67 (2017).
- (Co-author) “Information system security commitment: A study of external influences on senior management,” Computers & Security, Volume 59 (2016).
- (Co-author) “Evaluation of Information Security Controls in Organizations by Grey Relational Analysis,” International Journal of Dependable and Trustworthy Information Systems, Volume 2, Issue 3 (2013).
- (Co-author) “Reducing Cyber Harassment Through de jure Standards: A study on the lack of the information security management standard adoption in the U.S.,” International Journal of Management and Decision Making, Volume 11, Issue 5/6 (2011).
Professional Service (Selected)
- Co-Editor, Special Issue, The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, ACM SIGMIS journal (2018 - present).
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Cyber Research and Education (2018 - present).
- Coordinating Editor, Information Systems Frontiers journal (2017).
- Editorial Review Board, Special Issue on Security and Privacy in 21st Century Organisations, European Journal of Information Systems (2016).
- Co-Editor, Special Issue on Cybercrime, Computers & Security journal, Volume 38 (2013).
- Program Co-Chair, UNESCO International Federation on Information Processing (IFIP) WG8.11/WG11.13, Dewald Roode Information Security Workshop, Louisiana (2019).
- Co-Chair, SIG Philosophy Workshop, 26th European Conference on Information Systems, Portsmouth, U.K. (2018).
- Chair for Mini-track - Cybercrime and Information Security Strategy, 23rd Americas Conference on Information Systems, San Diego (2016).
- Co-Chair, Emergent Research Forum, 21st Americas Conference on Information Systems, Puerto Rico (2015).
- Co-Chair, 8th Annual AIS SIGSEC Workshop on Information Security and Privacy, Auckland, New Zealand (2014).
- Chair for Mini-track - Cybercrime in the Digital Economy, 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Maui, Hawaii (2012).
- Advisory Board Member, Rutgers Leading Disruptive Innovation Board, Center for Innovation Education, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, NJ (2018 – present).
- Advisory Board Member, Cyber Security, City University of Seattle, WA (2018 – present).
- Member, STEM Advisory Board, Miami-Dade County Public Schools, National Academy Foundation, FL (2016 – 2019).
- Member, Technology Committee, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, FL (2016 – 2019).
- Member, US Secret Service Miami Electronic Crimes Task Force, FL (2016 – 2019).
Honors and Awards (Selected)
- Service Award, ISACA South Florida (2018).
- Certificate of Appreciation - Exceptional Service in the Public Interest, FBI InfraGard (2017).
- Runners up Best Paper Award, Fifth IEEE eCrime Researchers Summit (2010).
- Virginia Commonwealth University Graduate Fellowship award; awarded 3 times (2004 - 2006).
- UW-Milwaukee Graduate Fellowship award (2001).
- Gold Chord, Commencement Honors, UW-Milwaukee (2000).
Media Presence (Selected)
- Interviewed by Amara Sohn from NBC Miami for news story on “Major Corporations Warn of Phishing Scam after Hackers Steal Millions of Email Addresses.” Story aired on WTVJ Channel 6 on April 4, 2011 (at 7pm and 11pm).
- Interviewed by Katya Maruri from Miami Today for news article “University adds executive doctorate in information security” (2017).
- Interviewed by Catherine Lackner from Miami Today for news article “Incoming professor lays plans to develop cybersecurity hub” (2015).
- Interviewed by Cindy Riley from Chicago Tribune for article “Information Technology plays a crucial role as companies look to the future” (2011).
- Interviewed by Michael Bergbauer from Gold Coast Magazine for article “Private Purchase = Safe Shopping: Avoiding Identity Theft this Holiday Season” (2010).
- Association of Information Systems
- International Federation for Information Processing
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association
- Information Systems Security Association
- Society for Information Management