Students & Internships
Students & Internships
GAIN VALUABLE EXPERIENCE IN YOUR CHOSEN INDUSTRY
An internship program through the College of Business is the best way to gain real-world experience while enrolled in a degree program. Internships are available for all majors and levels. Academic credit is available for undergraduate students starting at the sophomore level and graduate students at all levels.
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) posts nationwide internships, jobs, and events being offered by organizations on Handshake for the convenience of students. Postings do not represent an endorsement of any organization, job posting nor event, and UCCS makes no guarantees about posting accuracies, the information provided by the employer, nor if the posting meets any legal requirements of such posting within the state. It is the responsibility of student to perform due diligence in researching employers, postings, and events. If you suspect a fraudulent employer, job posting, or event has been posted, please contact the UCCS College of Business Career Center at email@example.com or by phone call to 719-255-3120.
Internship Application Process
Step 1: Review prerequisites
BUAD 2960 – Sophomore standing, 2.5 GPA, INFS 1100
BUAD 4960 – Junior standing, 2.5 GPA, ENGL 1310, ECON 1010 & 2020, MATH 1040 & 1120, INFS 1100, ACCT 2010 & 2020, QUAN 2010 & 2020, and MGMT 3000 or 3300, Students must have completed a junior level class in the discipline of the internship.
ACCT 4960 – Accounting Major, Junior standing, 2.5 GPA, ENGL 1310, ECON 1010 & 2020, MATH 1040 & 1120, INFS 1100, ACCT 2010 & 2020, QUAN 2010 & 2020, and MGMT 3000 or 3300, Students must have completed a junior level class in the discipline of the internship.
BUAD 6960 – Graduate student, 3.0 GPA
ACCT 6960 – Accounting Major, Graduate student, 3.0 GPA
The amount of time on the job relates to the number of credit hours for the internship.
- 3 Semester Hours: 150 hours of work experience (e.g.: 15 weeks, 10 hours per week).
- 2 Semester Hours: 100 hours of work experience (e.g.: 10 weeks, 10 hours per week).
- 1 Semester Hour: 50 hours of work experience (e.g.: 5 weeks, 10 hours per week).
Step 2: Contact your advisor
Please contact your advisor to understand where an internship would fit in your degree plan. Below is an outline of common options for students.
- BUAD 2960 can count as an open elective.
- BUAD 4960 and ACCT 4960 can count as an open elective or upper division business elective.
- With prior approval, BUAD 4960 may count as an elective in your area of emphasis (not available to accounting students).
BUAD 6960 and ACCT 6960 count as an elective course. Graduate students are not able to count internship experiences as an elective in their area of emphasis.
Step 3: Review application checklist
Please review the required documents and information prior to starting your internship application.
- Job Description
- Acceptable files include pdf, doc, docx, jpg, png not to exceed 50 MB.
- Your contact Information, including student ID
- Desired internship course (BUAD 2960, BUAD 4960, ACCT 4960, BUAD 6960, ACCT 6960)
- Desired credit hours (1-3 semester hours)
- Internship semester
- Anticipated Start Date
- Anticipated End Date
- Organization Name
- Supervisor name, email, phone, and address
- Pay rate
- Workers’ Compensation: Does your internship provider pay for Workers’ Compensation? If you are not covered by your providers’ Workers’ Compensation you are required to contact Jamie Duvall, UCCS Risk Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-255-3525.
- Whether you prefer the paper or presentation as your final assignment
Step 4: Submit internship application
Fill out application form.
Step 5: Wait for approval
Once you have submitted the internship application, the Career Development Center will review your documents and contact you if additional information is required.
If your internship experience is approved for academic credit you will receive an email from email@example.com and instructions to enroll in the internship course. Please wait at least 72 hours for processing before contacting the Career Development Center regarding the status of your application.
WCG provides tax preparation and business consulting services across the world with simplified fee ranges and dedicated service.