Sport Management FAQs
Although there are many excellent programs across the world, our program is unique for these reasons:
- Our program is housed in the College of Business, which means you earn a Business degree with an emphasis in Sport Management. This diversifies and prepares students interested in entering the Business of Sports.
- Established internship opportunities with numerous sports organizations including the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee, 20+ National Governing Bodies, teams in the English Premier League, local sport bodies and many more.
- Small class sizes with individualized attention.
- Scheduled guest speakers from all aspects of the sports industry.
- Highly qualified, educated and passionate faculty members.
Students have the opportunity to get involved in almost all aspects of sports including:
- U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee and National Governing Bodies
- English Premier League & League Championship clubs
- Many Denver based professional teams.
- Formal partnership with Kroenke Sports & Entertainment (Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and Colorado Rapids)
- Additional opportunities with Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies, Denver Outlaws, and Colorado Mammoth.
- The Sports Corp: operator of dozens of annual events including the Rocky Mountain State Games and Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
- Rocky Mountain Vibes (Single-A baseball team affiliated to the Milwaukee Brewers)
- Switchbacks Football Club (USL Pro affiliate to the MLS)
- Multiple collegiate athletic conferences: Mountain West Conference, Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, National Collegiate Hockey Conference
- Three collegiate athletic programs: U.S. Air Force Academy (Div. I), UCCS (Div. II), and Colorado College (Div. III)
Candidates must first be admitted to the UCCS College of Business and then be considered by the Sport Management Program.
Freshmen admission requirements:
- 3.0 high school GPA
- ACT or SAT scores: Math score of 21 (ACT) / 570 (SAT), English score of 19 (ACT) / 500 (SAT)
- High school class rank (top 50%)
Transfer admission requirements:
- 3.0 transfer GPA
- 'C' or better in College Algebra & English Composition
Absolutely. Many of the Sport Management students are current UCCS or USOPC athletes and have proven to be successful at both passions/pursuits. Athletes and non-athletes alike are held to the same academic standards and expectations, thus time management is essential for all.
Accreditation means that a school has met a defined standard of excellence. While most business schools receive some form of accreditation, only the top 30% of US based business schools and 5% of international business schools meet the AACSB standards. The College of Business at UCCS has maintained AACSB accreditation since 1989.
For a comprehensive experience in the Sport Management program, we encourage students to attend UCCS all four years. However, transfer students are still eligible for admission year-round. Transfer students should be aware that our program has specific course sequencing requirements and are therefore encouraged to transfer as early as possible to avoid unnecessary delays in degree completion. If you are considering transferring, please contact our office so we can assist in accommodating your specific transfer situation.
We do not assign internships. We have close working relationships with many managers in the sports industry and the program's Internship Coordinator informs students about upcoming internship announcements, counsels them on career paths, and follows their progress. However, each student is responsible for pursuing an internship and securing it based upon their efforts.